ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
More and more adults today are seeking orthodontic treatment to achieve a happy, healthy smile. In fact, almost 20 percent of all orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. Many adults realize the importance of tooth and gum health and are ready to feel good about their appearance. We offer a wide selection of appliances and treatments to meet the individual needs of every patient.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
- Pain or pressure in the mouth and jaw caused by crooked teeth
- Teeth are crowded or have gaps
- Overbite or underbite causing teeth to fit together poorly
- Desire for healthy teeth and a happy smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
Healthy teeth can be treated at any age, so there’s no such thing as being too old for braces. For many adults, just the thought of wearing metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking orthodontic care. However, there are more discreet, comfortable, customizable treatment options today than ever before, including:
- Ceramic braces
- Clear braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS:
Orthodontic treatment of adults is different from the treatment of younger patients. Primarily, the jawbones of adults are fully developed and therefore cannot be changed structurally with orthodontic appliances in the same way as a child’s growing jawbones. Orthognathic surgery is an option to align jawbones in adults. Other differences in treatment of adults include:
- Improper childhood orthodontic treatment – Some adults have received dental and orthodontic treatment in their youth but may not have fully completed or maintained their results. As an adult, they recognize the value of good oral care and a beautiful smile and choose to complete orthodontic treatment.
- Loose, missing, or worn teeth – Teeth can become worn, loose, and shift into different positions over time. These issues can only be resolved with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can impact the positions of other surrounding teeth, causing them to shift
- Gum (periodontal) or bone disease – Gum recession, advanced periodontal disease, and bone loss due to gingivitis are more prevalent in adults than children. To maintain good periodontal health, patients need to have regular checkups and practice good oral hygiene at home.
At Fullerton Orthodontics, we recognize the nuances between the orthodontic needs of children and adults. We will work with you to determine the most appropriate treatments for your needs and concerns.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
Improved Appearance – The most visible benefit of orthodontic treatment is the increased appearance and self-esteem that accompany your new smile
Better Oral Health – Not only are straight teeth more attractive, they are also easier to clean and may help prevent other health problems
Upgraded Oral Function – Receiving orthodontic treatment can help prevent long-term health issues from arising and maximize jaw and tooth function.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics and how we can help you achieve your dream smile, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment.