May 19th, 2018
Getting a cavity remains one of the most inconvenient dental problems for children. If left unchecked, cavities can become serious infections. Most activities happen on the surface of the teeth, though it is essential to know that cavities can also occur between the teeth.
Most parents make the mistake of waiting to see their dentist until their children get a toothache or experience sensitivity on the surface of their teeth. As a result of a surface cavity, the sensitivity happens regularly which is an indication that a professional opinion is warranted. However, there are interproximal cavities that do not often exhibit the same kind of sensitivity. As such, you typically don’t experience pain from having a cavity in such areas. Missed dental check ups could lead to cavities going undiagnosed and thus lead to significant problems.
Cavities remains a leading cause of tooth loss which can increase the probability of an individual getting bacterial infections.
Cavities also statistically increase the risk for heart disease. Research has confirmed that cavity buildup increases the risk of heart disease and stroke contraction. The bacteria that cause the cavities release a toxin which travels through the bloodstream. This forms fatty plaques in the arteries.
If you suspect your child may have a cavity, feel free to call our pediatric dental office located in Fullerton, CA for an appointment. Our specialist will provide a thorough diagnosis through the use of x-rays and a visual examination. After noting the presence of the cavity, we’ll be able determine if any and how much decay has occurred.
Brushing and flossing at least 2 times per day for a minimum of 2 minutes will help make sure all parts of your child’s teeth are well cleaned and aid in the prevention of cavities.
Feel free to contact our office at 714-871-8445 if you have any questions and one of our team members will be happy to assist you!
March 28th, 2016
Invisalign is a good option for adult or teenage patients with mild teeth and bite problems. Here are some facts you need to know;
- Invisalign is a newer treatment technique and although most dentists now offer this service, you should see an Invisalign certified Orthodontist
- Orthodontists have 2-3 years of additional training and specialize in the treatment of teeth and jaw alignment,therefore the most qualified for this treatment choice
- General dentists can offer Invisalign after taking few hours of training by Invisalign
- If Invisalign has or has not worked for your friend, it may not be the same for you
- Every case and patient is different and has to be evaluated thoroughly with proper x-rays and measurements to be evaluated as a candidate for Invisalign
- It is best to have your teeth straightened and aligned before doing veneers, crowns, implants or bridge in your mouth
- Invisalign only works if you have your clear aligners in your mouth 20-22 hours a day
- You will need to remove your aligners to eat, drink any liquid but water and to smoke
January 29th, 2016
You can probably see how teeth straightening can make your smile more attractive, but you might be wary of how Invisalign Teen treatment works. If you’re like most teens at our Fullerton, CA office, you love hanging out with your friends, and you don’t want to be different, watch what you eat, or worry about how you look. Invisalign Teen has several benefits over traditional metal braces that can make your treatment easier.
People won’t know you’re wearing them.
Invisalign Teen consists of clear trays that are virtual impossible for others to see. Chances are, the only people who know that you are getting your teeth straightened will be your family and any of your friends whom you choose to tell. You won’t need to answer to “Tinsel Teeth” and “Metal Mouth” as some of your classmates with metal braces do.
You can eat what your friends eat.
You take your Invisalign Teen aligners out of your mouth for meals and snacks, so you can eat just like you normally would. You don’t need to worry about food getting stuck in your braces or leading to a bracket popping off. Unlike with braces, you can enjoy the following foods with your friends during Invisalign Teen straightening treatment:
- Popcorn at the movies
- Trail mix with dried fruit when you’re hanging out together
- Ribs and chicken wings at a party
- Eating a peanut butter sandwich, apple, and carrot sticks for lunch
You can take care of your teeth more easily.
It would be a shame if you took the trouble to straighten your teeth and then found out that you had developed tooth decay while wearing braces. This is less of a problem with Invisalign Teen aligners because they are removable. You can brush and floss your teeth as normal just by taking the trays out of your mouth.
Getting straighter teeth can be a serious confidence-booster in the long run, and with Invisalign Teen, the treatment isn’t that bad. You can wear these clear aligners without letting people know that you’re straightening your teeth, and they won’t interfere with your diet or dental hygiene.
January 22nd, 2016
Brace-ism: believe it or not, it’s a concept. The Urban Dictionary defines brace-ism as “acting mean to people who have braces on their teeth.” Phrases like metal mouth, brace face, and train tracks are common jokes uttered by gap-toothed fools who like to make fun of people with braces.
While ignoring these comments and taking the high road is the best thing to do, there’s nothing wrong with having a few clever retorts and quick-witted comebacks up your sleeve.
- The next time someone calls you train tracks, break into an obnoxious train imitation, with lots of toot-toot and chuga-chuga-chuga. Finish off your crazy locomotive impersonation with some sort of deafening train horn. That’ll keep the bullies at bay.
- “It’s better to be a brace face than a space case.”
- Counter with a ridiculously childish joke that makes the schoolyard tormentor feel even smaller than he already is. “Oh. Yeah. Why did the deer need braces? Because he had buck teeth. Hahaha.” Top it off with an exaggerated eye roll.
- “Yeah, my brother tells that joke. He’s six. You guys should hang out.” That’ll stop the haters dead in their tracks. Or would that be train tracks?
- Here’s one from the sarcasm grab bag. “Well, I’m just glad there’s a way to fix what’s wrong with my face.”
- “I can’t wait to discuss this formative moment at our ten-year class reunion, when my teeth are razor-straight and you’re wearing adult braces.”